In trying to recreate some of the elements of my experience of French Cuisine and this is a recipe that captures the best of one of the most humblest ingredients, the potato! One of the things I enjoyed most in Paris was the simplicity of the ingredients that come together in perfect food fantasy! The appreciation of the simplest spring vegetables paired with tender, carefully chosen cuts of finest tender meats.. it is simply sublime! Of course I have added my own Taste Safari twist and introducing another European touch, some Italian pesto. This dish turned out absolutely delicious and is wonderful served with any rich meat dishes, particularly a lovely creamy stroganoff.
Serves 3-4 hungry eaters!
4 white potatoes
¼ cup warm milk
1/4 tsp minced garlic
4 tbs sundried tomato pesto paste
2 cups cheese
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper for seasoning
Butter to line ramekin dishes
1. Boil the potatoes with their skin on until soft, around 20 minutes.
2. Drain and remove the skins.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
4. While the potatoes are still hot, add the milk, the garlic and the salt and black pepper.
5. Mash everything, but take care not to overdo it as the potato can become gluey.
6. Place in your chosen, buttered ramekin dishes.
7. Place about 3 tbs of mash at the bottom of the dish. Now add a layer of 1 tbs of pesto.
8. Add a next layer of mash and then cover completely with cheese.
9. Place in a hot oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
10. Serve absolutely piping hot!